Friday, December 16, 2011

The Teen Model and Reporter: Janeena Chan

Janeena Chan
AB Communication, Block A2
Magic 89.9 Junior Jock, VJ, 
tv/ramp/print model, tv/event host,  
musical performer, radio voice talent
One of the many new faces in the Ateneo. One of the very few teen reporters in the Philippines. Also a VJ, model, musical performer, and more. Meet Janeena Chan.

You may have seen her feature trends, food and fashion hotspots, events, personalities, interesting activities and places on her own lifestyle segment called Spot Light on RPN 9's Newswatch. It airs everyday on the channel's main news program.

"I shoot about 3 segments every Saturday or Friday after school. Basically, I think and research on what topics I want to feature during the start of the week, contact my interviewees, write my segment scripts, submit it to our producer and shoot on weekends," Janeena shares.


But that's not all Janeena does. She also handles her VJ stint for Velvet channel, magazine shoots, other modeling gigs, hosting gigs, singing gigs, Junior Jock trainings, and more. She says, "I accept other projects as long as I can manage my everyday load."

And yes, she does it all while dealing with college.



Why did you choose Ateneo?
Well, aside from the fact that it is the most prestigious university in our country, some of my relatives like my sister and cousins have studied in Ateneo and I’ve heard of the wonderful university life they’ve fully enjoyed.

Favorite hangouts in Ateneo?
I love fresh air, the smell of grass and the cool breeze so I enjoy hanging out in open spaces like along the Sec Walk, the AMP bench, JSEC, the Doghouse area with some of my doll houser friends (whenever the area’s not being rented), the Zen Garden and the open area outside the Gonzaga cafeteria.

How do you balance your time? 
I keep a planner and when things get too hectic like during hell week I arrange my ‘tasks’ in the most systematic way possible.  When there are projects being offered during these busier-than-the-usual-times, I decline some and accept only good, quality accounts.  

What fun things do you do in your free time?
Well, I really enjoy all the things I involve myself into and even if they are formally called ‘jobs’ it really feels more of like my recreational getaway, it’s always a new adventure, a new learning experience. So during my extra free time I just enjoy chilling like watching movies, my favorite TV Series and hanging out with friends. Sometimes when I feel extra adventurous and when there’s a lot of extra free time, I enjoy going out of town!

If given the chance to do a speech, what would you want to be quoted for?
Well I have this favorite quote and it’s from one of the richest people who ever lived, Warren Buffet, and I really do live by this, ‘The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best things. They just appreciate what they have.’

I believe our generation is becoming too materialistic and at times you just can’t help but want for more or complain about the simplest things. After coming across this quote I’ve realized how blessed we all our in so many ways whatever our situation may be. We just have to live everyday feeling thankful and make the most out of our lives.

Do you have a funny memory from your childhood?
I’d always climb up on the roof of my Little Tikes playhouse and just chill there like Snoopy. I’d do everything there, like eat my merienda, write songs, sing songs and one time I even asked my parents if I could stay the night there. 

Favorite Pokemon? Why?
Jigglypuff! I’ve always adored her when I was younger and I think mainly because she’s cute and pink! But it all makes sense now because I love to sing, sleep and I can be really witty like her too. hahaha

What were your other favorite shows from the 90s?
Kenan and Kell, All That, Rocco’s Modern Life, The Amanda Show, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Kablam… I LOVE 90’S SHOWS <3 


Janeena and Jigglypuff both love to sing!

Thank you for sharing your time with us, Janeena!

This Christmas season, let's take Janeena's word and be thankful for every simple thing we have. Remember that we are blessed no matter what. Have a great Christmas break

2 comments: